Analyst: ABInBev, SABMiller To Grow In Recession
MILWAUKEE (AP) ¿ An analyst on Wednesday initiated coverage of the world's biggest brewers, saying Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller PLC are better positioned than rivals Carlsberg and Heineken because they are less exposed to recession-weary Europe.
Morgan Stanley analyst Michael Steib gave "Overweight" ratings to ABInBev, which formed last year when Belgian-brewer InBev bought Anheuser-Busch Cos Inc., and SABMiller, saying he preferred the world's two largest brewers because of their limited exposure to Europe and their greater exposure to the U.S., where drinking hasn't suffered much under the recession.
He gave Carlsberg an "Equal-weight" rating and Heineken an "Underweight" rating, since they do more of their business in Europe, where beer volumes are falling faster than in the U.S. as consumers cut back on their spending. About 7 percent of Heinken's earnings before interest and taxes are from the U.S., while ABInBev is at 40 percent and SABMiller is at 15 percent.
"We expect U.S. beer volumes to decline by only 2 percent in 2009 in contrast to some European markets where we see mid-to-high single digit declines," Steib wrote in a note to clients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV