Sector Snap: Coal Stocks Rise On Positive Outlook
As a result of the sharp decline in industry demand, coal stocks have tumbled, creating attractive investment opportunities, Dudas said. Also, Alpha Natural Resources Inc.'s acquisition of Foundation Coal Holdings Inc., speculation that U.S. and global economies have bottomed and rising industrial energy demand all signal good news for coal stocks, he added.
Dudas recommended buying shares of Consol Energy Inc. and Peabody Energy Corp., his favorite large coal producers. He rates both "Buy."
Shares of Consol climbed $2.60, or 7.6 percent, to $36.99 in afternoon trading. Peabody shares rose $1.51, or 5.2 percent, to $30.45.
Among smaller capitalized producers Dudas rated both Massey Energy and James River Coal Co. "Buy." Shares of Massey rose $1.48, or 8 percent, to $20.03, while James River gained $1.80, or 9.3 percent, to $21.24
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV