American Apparel (APP) settled a lawsuit on Monday against director Woody Allen for the use of his image in an advertising campaign.
The company paid Allen $5 million only hours before the suit was set to come to trial.
Allen sued American Apparel over a year ago, seeking more than $10 million, after an image of him the from the film Annie Hall appeared on the billboards and Web site. Allen says his reputation was damaged and his image was used for profit without his consent.
The apparel retailer is set to announce its first-quarter earnings after-market.Shares of the company climbed 5% to $5.36 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV