Updated from 11:12 a.m. EDT
Back Above 8500
( At 4:55 p.m. EDT)
If you were looking for the bears to pick up this week where they left off the last one, you were badly disappointed.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 235.44 points, or 2.9%, to 8504.08 Monday as all but one of its components climbed. That's just the fourth time in 2009 that a week has started with an up session for the Dow.AT&T (T) was the one laggard, down 1.2% at $24.59.
BofA Leads the Banks( At 10:50 a.m. EDT) Nice start to the week for the Dow. A little over an hour in to the session, the index was near its high for the day, up 153 points, or 1.9%, at 8421. Only four of the 30 stocks in the DJIA were weaker, all of them by less than 1%. McDonald's (MCD) and Merck (MRK) were the worst performers, and they were down just 0.8%. Banks were among the strongest percentage gainers, led by a 10.5% advance in Bank of America (BAC) to $11.79. BofA was increasing thanks to a Goldman Sachs upgrade, which more than offset negative comments from Fitch Ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV