Volvo To Pay $525M For Mack Trucks Health Care
STOCKHOLM (AP) ¿ Allentown, Pennsylvania-based truck maker Mack Trucks Inc. has signed an agreement with the United Auto Workers union to create an independent trust responsible for the health care of retirees, Swedish parent company AB Volvo said Monday.
Volvo said it will fund the trust with $525 million (euro389 million) in cash, which will be paid in equal installments over a five-year period.
The agreement is part of a new collective bargaining agreement and requires approval by United Auto Workers members, as well as an approval order from a U.S. district court.
If approved, the first payment of $110 million (euro82 million) will be made in the second quarter 2009.The creation of the trust will allow continued health care benefits for current and future Mack Trucks retirees while completely eliminating Mack's health care liabilities, Volvo said. The company didn't want to disclose further details of the collective bargaining agreement until it has been ratified by local bargaining units.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV