Recount Affirms Slim Nod To Fund Nuke Site
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) ¿ A recount Thursday affirmed the narrow margin in an election last weekend that allows Andrews County officials to issue $75 million in bonds to help a company build a low-level radioactive waste disposal site in West Texas.
Saturday results showed the measure passed by three votes, 642-639. The recount, requested by opponents of the bonds, was done by hand and retained the same three-vote margin, Andrews City Manager Glen Hackler said.
The measure gives county officials the ability to issue the bonds used to purchase Dallas-based Waste Control Specialists' assets and lease those back to the company.The company, which was issued a low-level radioactive waste disposal license in January by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, already stores the material at the site about 30 miles west of the city of Andrews and 370 miles west of Dallas. The waste will come from Texas and Vermont and from sites run by the federal government. Hackler said the small margin was not a reflection of diminished support of the company's operation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV