Herman Miller Cuts Dividend, Closes Plant
ZEELAND, Mich. (AP) ¿ Herman Miller Inc. said Thursday that it is reducing its quarterly dividend and consolidating manufacturing operations in an effort to strengthen its balance sheet.
The company said it is reducing its quarterly cash dividend to 2.2 cents per share from 8.8 cents. The company said the new dividend rate will save it $14 million annually.
Herman Miller also said it will close its manufacturing site in Spring Lake, Mich. The work handled by the Integrated Metal Technologies subsidiary there will be moved to other newer, larger facilities in the area, the company said.
The site will close by spring of 2010 and Herman Miller anticipates a cost of $9 million to $12 million tied to its closure, but it expects operational savings of $5 million to $7 million each year.Herman Miller said the moves allow the company to free up resources for its strategic priorities. Shares of Herman Miller were up 40 cents to $12.90 in late afternoon trading Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV