Company, Utilities Resume Talks Over Synthetic Gas
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) ¿ A company planning to produce synthetic natural gas said Wednesday that it has resumed talks with so-far-reluctant Louisiana utilities about buying its product as a hedge against often-volatile natural gas prices.
Lake Charles Cogeneration plans to create synthetic gas with petroleum coke, a plentiful byproduct of refining.
The project, backed by $1 billion in Gulf Opportunity Zone bonds provided through the federal government as a hurricane recovery measure, was put together before natural gas prices plummeted last year.So far, major power and gas suppliers in Louisiana ¿ including Entergy Corp., Cleco Corp., Atmos Energy Corp. and CenterpointEnergy Inc. ¿ have not been willing to buy synthetic gas, citing the company's desire for long-term contracts, questions about transportation and storage and whether consumers would benefit. The Public Service Commission is monitoring the progress, but has refused to intervene. On Wednesday, LCC attorney Luke Piontek told the commission that the company had been talking again with Entergy and was designing a revised business plan that it would present to the commission staff if LCC's investors approve. The company's principals include Hunter Johnson, a Washington, D.C.-based development partner and son of former U.S. Sen. J. Bennett Johnston, who has lobbied on behalf of the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV