Shares Of Ag Equipment, Supply Makers Fall
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ¿ Investors sold shares of several farm equipment makers Wednesday after the group logged large gains since March, analysts said, with one analyst saying there is some concern that projected low prices in the upcoming crop season could hurt equipment sales.
Caterpillar Inc., Deere & Co. and AGCO Corp. have risen as much as 74 percent since early March and shares of CNH Global NV more than doubled in the same period. Wednesday, the companies' shares were down between 3 percent and 5 percent as the broader market sank by about 2 percent.
"These stocks had pretty big runs so there's some profit taking," said Eli Lustgarten, an analyst at Longbow Research.
In addition to cashing in on recent gains, investors are also expressing "general fear of a continued economic slowdown," Gabelli & Co. analyst Heiko Ihle said.A U.S. Department of Agriculture report issued Tuesday on world agricultural supply and demand estimates for the 2009-2010 crop year shows that crop supplies will be ample, resulting in some commodity prices that will be between flat and down from the previous year. If farmers bring in less revenue they are less likely to buy as much new equipment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV