Updated from 12:42 p.m. EDT
Health care stocks were faring well Tuesday, this 12th day of May, despite a undulating broader market.
Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) announced Tuesday that it would confirm its earnings forecast at the Bank of America and Merrill Lynch Health Care Conference on Wednesday in New York. Last month the company said it expects full-year earnings in the range of $1.58 to $1.73 a share. Bristol shares were tacking on 1% to $20.50 in recent trading.
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) announced that it was acquiring a 16% stake in South Africa-based Aspen Pharmacare in exchange for a divestiture of assets including eight specialist medicines and a manufacturing facility in Bad Oldesloe, Germany.Glaxo said the impact of this transaction to earnings per share is expected to be accretive in 2009 and slightly dilutive in 2010. Glaxo shares were recently up 2.9% to $31.83. Pfizer (PFE) shares were rising after analysts Credit Suisse called the stock undervalued given the company's impending merger with Wyeth (WYE). The analysts also said the company could raise its dividend soon, according to The Associated Press.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV