Physicians Formula Shares Tank on Loss
Physicians Formula (FACE) swung to a loss in the first quarter, nearly halving shares in morning trading -- and there could be more bad news on the horizon as one of its biggest retailer plans to discontinue products.
Shares massively tanked by 47% to $1.88 in morning trading, as the company recorded a loss of $1.7 million or 13 cents a share, from a profit of $5 million, or 36 cents, in the year-ago period.
Sales fell 53% to $20.2 million from $42.7 million last year, hurt by tighter inventory controls and consumers paring down spending.
In April, one of the company's largest retailers -- which accounted for 16% of gross sales for the year ended Dec. 31, 2008 -- said it would discontinue selling products in 2010. The discontinuation will begin negatively impacting sales in the second quarter of 2009, as the retailer has already begun reducing its inventory levels of products.Rivals Estee Lauder (EL), Revlon (REV) and Bare Escentuals (BARE) all beat expectations, while Avon Products actually missed targets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV