Top tech stocks such as Research In Motion (RIMM) and Google (GOOG) have been making strong moves lately. According to Jim Cramer, "These gravity-defiers must be killing the shorts." And Disney's (DIS) stock spiked when the company released stronger earnings than expected, partially due to the fact that the shares were heavily shorted, said Cramer.
When short-sellers quickly buy in shares of stock to cover their positions, it creates what is called a short squeeze, rapidly moving the stock price up. The ratio for measuring short-squeeze opportunities is the short ratio, which is the number of days it would take the short-sellers to cover their positions based on recent average daily volume.
Stockpickr has combed through the list of stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange and compiled a portfolio of the top NYSE short-squeeze plays.
To read more, visit Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV