The markets slid Monday on investor jitters over the financials.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 155.88, or 1.82%, to 8.418.77, while the S&P 500 fell 19.99, or 2.15%, to 909.24. The Nasdaq was down 7.76, or 0.45%, to 1,731.24.
Guy Adami said on CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show that today's market action left him skeptical of the rally. He said noted banking analyst Meredith Whitney's negative comments on bank stocks talked down another 60 to 70 points in the Dow. He sees the S&P falling to 875 if the index closes below 900.Jeff Macke called the $4 rise Friday in Wells Fargo (WB) a unhealthy sign for the markets. He told viewers to pace themselves during this pullback. "You can still be bullish and wait on the sidelines," he said. Seymour agreed, saying the tape is intact. "You don't have to react to this in a major way," he said. Pete Najarian said the slew of bank secondary offering announcements today fared well. He said the worry is when one of these offerings don't and the stock gets "smacked" down. Melissa Lee, the moderator of the show, shifted the discussion to the technology stocks, which were down slightly today. Adami reminded viewers that his technical trade of Intel (INTC) has been working. If investors had followed his advice and got in when it traded at $15, they would have pocketed the gain when it rose to $15.64 today. "If you caught any of that trade, that's a great trade," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV