A new bull market or a bear-market rally? The stock market has chosen to focus on those relatively better numbers, because the stock market always looks ahead. But is this a new bull market or just a temporary rally, an opportunity to sell stocks before another collapse?
A well-known Wall Street money manager said on Friday: "This is a "once-in-a-generation opportunity to get in at prices that haven't been as good since 1982." One stock market sentiment indicator has gone from only 2% bulls to more than 80% bullish in just the past two months.
The bulls are running. But two legendary traders beg to differ. They each correctly timed this "bounce." But neither feels it will last much longer.
Elliott Wave Theory: new lows ahead: Bob Prechter is a stock market technician, meaning he charts historic stock prices and patterns using the "Elliott Wave Theory." You can learn more at his Web site.Lest you think this type of analysis is like reading tea leaves, Prechter gained fame predicting the stock market crash of 1987. In 2002, he wrote a book titled "Conquer the Crash -- You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression." In it, he correctly forecast a huge credit contraction, brought on by all the mortgage and debt issues that we're now facing. Reading this book today, it seems as if Prechter had a crystal ball. That's why his current view of the market is so compelling. After correctly forecasting this current rally in February, Prechter suggests that traders should be looking for an exit point soon, an opportunity to sell short. He laments: "On the major trend, there's such a long way down to go."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV