NBTY April Sales Climb 13 Percent
RONKONKOMA, N.Y. (AP) ¿ Nutritional-supplement maker and retailer NBTY Inc. said Monday that its April sales rose 13 percent, helped by a solid increase in wholesale U.S. nutrition sales.
Total monthly sales grew to $214 million from $189 million, with wholesale U.S. nutrition revenue up 26 percent to $132 million.
North American retail sales also climbed, gaining 4 percent to $18 million. The unit's same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, edged up 2 percent.
Same-store sales are a key indicator of retailer performance since they measure growth at existing stores rather than newly opened ones.The wholesale U.S. nutrition and North American retail revenue results were able to offset declines in both European retail and direct response, e-commerce sales. European retail revenue dipped 2 percent in April, while direct response, e-commerce sales fell 8 percent. NBTY's stock dropped 62 cents, or 2.4 percent, to $25.07 in morning trading. Over the past year, the shares have traded in a range of $12.22 to $37.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV