6 Ways to Save Thousands of Dollars
3. Anticipate big purchasesSaving used to be a struggle for me, particularly for large items, such as washers and dryers. I used them without thinking that one day I would need to replace them if they broke down.
To solve the problem, I started setting aside a little bit of money each time I washed a load of clothes, like you would in a laundromat. This tactic ensures that I have money when it's time to replace these appliances. It has also encouraged me to wash my clothes less because I'm paying each time I use the machines.
2. Take a tax classWhen I first got out of college, I tried to do my taxes myself. Dealing with income forms from three states proved too frustrating, so I went to an expert. A friend suggested I take a basic tax class to get a better handle on my filings. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I've done my own taxes since then. I save more just by knowing the deductions and credits for which I'm eligible.
1. Drop a habitIt's not just bad habits, like smoking, that cost you a ton of money; everyday expenses that seem marginal can also cut into your budget. For example, I was able to wean myself off soda and sports drinks, a habit that cost $1,000 a year. Drinking tap water has been good for my wallet and my health.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV