6 Ways to Save Thousands of Dollars
While everyone manages his money differently, there's value in trying strategies that have been successful for other people.
Here are some moves that helped me:
6. Trash your TVThe average American watches more than 30 hours of TV a week. Getting rid of my TV helped me find the time to become a freelance writer. The same idea applies to video games and Web surfing.
There are also the upfront costs for the TV itself, cable service and all the extras. The financial impact of TV can be significant.
5. Get organizedI had far too much junk in my house a few years back. The closets and storage areas were full of stuff I hadn't used for years. I needed more space and buying a bigger house wasn't an option.
I made a simple rule: For every new item I bought, five had to go. Eventually, I lowered the number to two. Some went to charity or in the trash. I sold others on eBay (EBAY) and Craigslist. In the process, I became more selective about my purchases and made a decent amount of money selling stuff I didn't need.
4. Start a part-time businessMany people aspire to be part of a profession that's outside of their current field. For most people, the only way to get that job is to create it yourself. I started writing on the side while working full-time in a different job. Eventually, my writing became the primary source of my income. If there's something you enjoy doing that could be turned into a business, there's no harm in giving it a try.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV