Albany Molecular Shares Fall On 1Q Profit, Outlook
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of research and development contractor Albany Molecular Research Inc. fell Thursday after the company said its first-quarter profit plunged and it cut its full-year outlook as demand for contract services falls.
The company's clients include biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, which have been trimming spending as many revamp drug development goals. The ongoing recession has also made it difficult for smaller companies to gain funding for drug development programs, prompting them to cut spending.
Albany Molecular's stock fell 68 cents, or 6.9 percent, to $9.14 in morning trading on the lower profit and a cut outlook. Shares have traded between $7.31 and $19.49 over the last 52 weeks.
Late Wednesday, the Albany, N.Y.-based company said it earned $1.9 million, or 6 cents per share, compared with profit of $4.7 million, or 15 cents per share, during the same period a year prior. Revenue was flat at $54 million.The results topped company guidance for profit of up to 2 cents per share. Contract revenue declined 5 percent to $43.2 million, mainly on lower results from discovery and development services. Royalties and milestone payments rose 31 percent to $10.8 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV