Vanda has been resisting Tang's efforts, but after Wednesday, the proxy fight seems moot. Vanda has an approved drug for schizophrenia that will compete in a $23 billion market for antipsychotic drugs, according to IMS Health.
And Tang, instead of fighting for Vanda table scraps, gets to enjoy the whole meal with an extra dessert now that its stake in the company has risen in value exponentially.
Also benefiting from Wednesday's Fanapt approval was RA Capital. The Boston-based hedge fund owns 1.54 million shares of Vanda, or 5.8% of the company, according to Securities and Exchange Commission filings. RA Capital was hit hard last week by the steep drop in the value of genetic test maker Sequenom (SQNM).
It will be interesting to see if Vanda can sustain the stunning gains made in its stock price Wednesday night given what might be a tough competitive sales environment for Fanapt.The FDA's approval of the drug was based on two studies in which Fanapt performed better than placebo, but the drug doesn't stack up as well against existing schizophrenia treatments, including Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ) Risperdal and Pfizer's (PFE) Geodon. Risperdal is now sold in a generic form, which means Fanapt faces a low-priced competitor at a time when the recession is forcing patients to cut back on drug spending. And the drug was never compared against AstraZeneca's (AZN) Seroquel, the leading antipsychotic drug used to treat schizophrenia. Vanda shares rose 625.9% to $7.84 in Thursday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV