Group Wants Boxed Warning On Constipation Drug
WASHINGTON (AP) ¿ Consumer advocates are calling on the Food and Drug Administration to add stronger warning labels about risks for pregnant women related to a constipation drug.
The FDA has approved Amitiza to treat chronic constipation and irritable bowel syndome, and it was prescribed more than 1 million times last year. The drug is marketed by Sucampo Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Takeda Pharmaceuticals Co.
The label warns that the pills have not been studied in pregnant women and that mothers-to-be should use the drug only "if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the fetus." But Public Citizen says that note isn't good enough.
The consumer watchdog group filed a petition with the FDA on Wednesday demanding the drug receive a "black box" warning, the strongest type available.The group's petition points out that a chemically similar drug called misoprostol carries the boxed warning, stating that it can cause "abortion and premature birth." That drug, marketed by Pfizer Inc. as Cytotec, is approved to treat gastric ulcers, but is used off-label to hasten labor or cause an abortion, according to Public Citizen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV