Of the 74 leveraged funds that take short positions, 26 were introduced in the past year. Thirty of the remaining 48 funds have generated returns in the past year. But the one-year average for the group has shrunk to 9.1%.
Industrial stocks have surged in the past month, causing the ProShares UltraShort Industrials (SIJ) to lose 26%. The fund's one-year return has withered to 39% from 188% two months ago.
Unlike mutual funds, which are meant to be held for years, leveraged ETFs are designed for short-term trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV