Andrews County To Vote On Funding Nuke Site
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) ¿ Many folks in a sparsely populated West Texas county actually embraced the idea of opening up a radioactive waste site because it would bring in much needed jobs and tax dollars.
Now that the waste company's asking Andrews County to go a step further and come up with $75 million to pay for a disposal area at the site, Tom and Rhonda Stark aren't so sure.
"We're not sure they should get into the business of being financiers," said Rhonda Stark, adding that the county also shouldn't put "too many eggs" into one project. "This is a very complicated basket and $75 million buys a lot of eggs."Voters in the county that borders New Mexico will decide Saturday whether to help Dallas-based Waste Control Specialists fund construction of a low-level radioactive waste disposal facility. If passed, the measure would give county officials the ability to issue the bonds used to purchase $75 million of Waste Control Specialists' assets and lease those back to the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV