Treasury Provides $45.5M To 7 Banks From Bailout
WASHINGTON (AP) ¿ The Treasury Department said Tuesday seven more banks have been approved to participate in the government's $700 billion rescue effort, and that a Colorado mortgage company was chosen to participate in a foreclosure mitigation program.
The department said the government would purchase a total of $45.5 million in preferred stock in the seven banks, bringing the total supplied through the program to $198.02 billion for more than 500 banks.
The purchases of preferred stock, essentially government loans to the banks, are designed to bolster the banks' capital reserves so they will resume more normal lending to consumers and businesses.The banks receiving the largest stock purchases were Village Bank and Trust Financial Corp. of Midlothian, Va., which got $14.74 million, and Security State Bank Holding Co. of Jamestown, N.D., which received $10.75 million. The government also announced that Aurora Loan Services LLC of Littleton, Colo., had been selected to receive up $798 million in incentives to help homeowners refinance into more affordable mortgages. This program is designed to combat a wave of mortgage foreclosures occurring in the wake of the worst housing downturn in decades.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV