Foundation Coal Falls To 1Q Loss On Lower Demand
LINTHICUM HEIGHTS, Md. (AP) ¿ Mine operator Foundation Coal Holdings Inc. posted a loss for the first quarter as coal shipments fell and costs increased.
The company reported a loss of $4.5 million, or 10 cents a share, compared with a profit of $6.2 million, or 13 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. Cost increases were seen in diesel fuel, repair and maintenance supplies, labor and benefits and coal sales. The latest-quarter results also included $1.1 million in employee termination costs associated with the idling of a mining complex.
Revenue slipped to $405.7 million from $412.3 million a year ago.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected a smaller loss of 4 cents on revenue of $400.8 million. Their estimates typically exclude one-time losses.The company said economic conditions have cut demand for coal globally. To align demand with production, domestic producers likely will have to cut production by 80 to 100 million tons this year. So far, the reduction is about 60 million, the company said. "Capital investment is being slashed across the energy space; today's low prices will force more production cuts and mine closures, particularly among high-cost mines in Central Appalachia; and utilities will eventually work through their inventories," said Chief Executive James F. Roberts, in a statement. He said when economic pressures ease and demand increased, low-cost coal producers should see a strong resurgence in prices, but short-term challenges likely will persist. Shares rose 43 cents, or 2 percent, to close at $21.10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV