Harte-Hanks 1Q Profit Cut In Half, Beats View
SAN ANTONIO (AP) ¿ Harte-Hanks Inc., a direct marketing and advertising company, on Tuesday reported a 48 percent decline in first-quarter profit after incurring higher-than-expected charges as revenue fell. But earnings beat expectations.
The company earned $7.1 million, or 11 cents per share, in the quarter, compared with $13.6 million, or 21 cents, in the same period a year earlier. Revenue was $217.7 million, down 19 percent from $268.5 million.
Harte-Hanks' quarterly profit exceeded the 6-cent-per-share forecast of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, but fell short of the $224.2 million revenue expected.
The San Antonio-based company said it booked $2.8 million in severance charges and $2.6 million in plant consolidation and circulation costs. Harte-Hanks closed a Florida production facility and reduced its work force in the first quarter."Our clients in direct marketing remain very cautious in their spending plans and are faced with decreased marketing budgets," Chief Executive Larry Franklin said in a statement. Shares of Harte-Hanks rose $1.13, or 13.4 percent, to $9.60 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV