5 Financial Mistakes People Make
NEW YORK (TheStreety) -- When people decide to get their finances in order, they often have unrealistic expectations.
5. Choose an easy way outCompanies will try to convince you there is an easy way out of your financial problems because they know that's exactly what you want to hear. The truth is that there isn't an easy way out. It's going to take a lot of hard work and time to resolve the issues that got you where you are now. Ignore quick-and-easy fixes and instead set up a financial plan that addresses core issues.
4. Settle for a short-term fixWhen finances get tight, some people eye short-term fixes with the assumption that things will get better in the long term. Getting your finances in order is a long-term project that will likely last a lifetime.
3. Believe there is no need for fundamental changePeople who have financial troubles often believe there's no need for fundamental change. It's the same philosophy for those who believe a diet will help keep weight off forever without changing eating habits. Understanding and accepting that things will have to change is a big step toward getting your finances in order.
2. Have no tolerance for setbacksNo matter how well laid out a plan is, there are going to be setbacks. For example, it's common for emergency funds to be needed before they are fully funded. Many people hit that first setback and assume all their planning and effort wasn't worth it. If a single setback causes you to give up on your financial plan, you never committed to it in the first place.
1. Believe that finances are only about moneyThere are factors that may not appear to have anything to do with finances that end up having a huge impact. Health is a good example. If you suddenly fall ill, you could be out thousands of dollars. This makes taking care of your health an important part of sticking with your financial plan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV