Max Capital Group 1Q Earnings Beats Expectations
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) ¿ Specialty insurer and reinsurer Max Capital Group Ltd. on Tuesday posted a better-than-expected first-quarter profit, helped by strong performance of its underwriting businesses in Bermuda, Dublin, the U.S. and Lloyd's.
Net income at the Bermuda-based company rose almost six times to $44.5 million, or 78 cents per share, from $7.7 million, or 13 cents per share, in the year-earlier period.
Max Capital said its operating income rose almost sevenfold to $41.7 million, or 73 cents per share. Operating income, which insurers emphasize because they say it better represents the health of an underwriter's business, excludes investment gains and losses.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, on average, forecast earnings of 65 cents per share for the quarter.Gross premiums written by Max Capital rose 42 percent to $434.3 million, with net premiums written increasing 34 percent from the year-earlier period to $269.9 million. The increase in gross premiums written reflects, in part, the company's Max at Lloyd's segment and modest growth in each of the company's other property and casualty segments, Max Capital said in a statement. Shares of Max Capital rose 39 cents, or 2.3 percent, to $17.38 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV