Max Capital Group 1Q Earnings Beats Expectations
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) ¿ Specialty insurer and reinsurer Max Capital Group Ltd. on Tuesday posted a better-than-expected first-quarter profit, helped by strong performance of its underwriting businesses in Bermuda, Dublin, the U.S. and Lloyd's.
Net income at the Bermuda-based company rose almost six times to $44.5 million, or 78 cents per share, from $7.7 million, or 13 cents per share, in the year-earlier period.
Max Capital said its operating income rose almost sevenfold to $41.7 million, or 73 cents per share. Operating income, which insurers emphasize because they say it better represents the health of an underwriter's business, excludes investment gains and losses.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, on average, forecast earnings of 65 cents per share for the quarter.Gross premiums written by Max Capital rose 42 percent to $434.3 million, with net premiums written increasing 34 percent from the year-earlier period to $269.9 million. The increase in gross premiums written reflects, in part, the company's Max at Lloyd's segment and modest growth in each of the company's other property and casualty segments, Max Capital said in a statement. Shares of Max Capital rose 39 cents, or 2.3 percent, to $17.38 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV