Tech Rumor of the Day: RIM
Two big no-shows are threatening to take the juice out of the big BlackBerry jam Monday in Orlando.
The Research In Motion (RIMM) analysts' day show isn't over yet, but there has been no word of the hotly anticipated introduction of two new BlackBerries -- Tour (Niagara) and Apex (Pearl Flip).
As TheStreet reported last week, RIM was expected to unveil its newest products, both targeted for Verizon (VZ), this week at the annual Wireless Enterprise Symposium. Last year, RIM used the event to lift the curtain on its 3G BlackBerry Bold.
Signs of the new phones could ease Wall Street's apprehensions about new products RIM needs to keep the sales momentum going.Verizon, however, is still expecting RIM to deliver the Tour and Apex phones in the second quarter, according to a person close to the company. Earlier is better for RIM as it faces tough competition from a new Apple (AAPL) iPhone, as well as Palm's (PALM) Pre phone and a few new devices from Nokia (NOK). The appetite for smartphones seems to be growing, and RIM's contagious mobile email service has started to catch on with consumers. Research In Motion told analysts Monday in Orlando that phone companies are reporting that 60% of new phone sales are smartphones. In a separate report, RIM's BlackBerry Curve outsold the red hot Apple iPhone in the first quarter, according to NPD retail data released Monday. A few new phones and importantly, no delays, are key to helping keep the BlackBerry party rolling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV