Astronics Reports 47-pct Drop In 1Q Profit
EAST AURORA, N.Y. (AP) ¿ Astronics Corp., which makes lighting and electronics systems for the aerospace industry, said Monday its first-quarter profit tumbled 47 percent because of cost-cutting measures prompted by weaker demand.
Net income dropped to $1.4 million, or 13 cents per share, for the three months ended April 4. That compared with $2.6 million, or 25 cents per share, in the year-earlier period.
The results included two months of financial results from DME Corp., which was acquired by Astronics on Jan. 30. The acquired company designs and makes weapons and communications test equipment, among other products.
Sales rose 22 percent to $50 million from $41.1 million during the first quarter of 2008. Sales for Astronics' aerospace business grew 2 percent to $41.8 million, while its test systems segment ¿ which represents a portion of the DME business ¿ had sales of $8.2 million. Excluding the DME acquisition, Astronics reported sales of $38.4 million for the quarter.Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, who typically exclude one-time items from their estimates, expected a higher profit of 29 cents per share on revenue of $56 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV