Recession Takes Toll On CEO Pay In 2008
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ CEOs are taking a hit from the recession ¿ less total compensation, smaller bonuses, nearly worthless stock options ¿ but their companies are already making adjustments that could mean fatter paychecks in the future.
An Associated Press analysis shows the median pay package for CEOs of companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 7 percent to $7.6 million in 2008.
And the potential hit to their pocketbooks could be even larger if stock prices don't rebound. One clue: 90 percent of the $1.2 billion in CEO stock options granted last year are "under water," meaning the current stock price is too low to yield a profit, the AP analysis shows.Boards already are trying to cushion the blow. The AP found that some have changed the rules to make it easier for executives to qualify for bonuses. Others are doling out more stock options, which give executives the right to buy shares in the future at prices locked in today. Other findings in the AP's analysis:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV