Stock Market Game Week in Review
Regardless of whether the swine flu outbreak will turn into an alarming pandemic or simply a blip on the radar of infectious diseases, it has monopolized the headlines this week, eclipsing other events, such as the 100-day mark for President Obama and the recent retirement announcement of Justice Souter.
Despite the flu frenzy, investors are breathing somewhat more easily as Wall Street closed the month of April with strong returns for each major index. For the month, the Nasdaq gained 12.3%, the S&P 500 gained 9.4% and the Dow rose 7.3%.
Consumers are also feeling a bit more optimistic as The University of Michigan's consumer sentiment index increased, a surprise to economists who thought the index would hold steady. The optimism may be short-lived, however, as the release of the Federal Reserve's "stress tests" -- how big banks would fare if the economy got even worse -- has been delayed until the end of next week.
As the school year winds down along with your Stock Market Game session, now is the time to start thinking about your summer plans.For those new to the program, we encourage you to attend the New York Stock Exchange Teacher Workshop. The NYSE is a great supporter of the SMG program and provides a valuable professional development experience. In the past, participants have had an opportunity to visit with a specialist on the NYSE's trading floor, meet with key NYSE staff members, and discuss with peers how to best integrate an understanding of the securities industry into their daily lessons.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV