Summer Resorts Hiring Heavily Among US Unemployed
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (AP) ¿ Resorts and other summer businesses across the country are getting swamped with applications from out-of-work Americans, competing for jobs usually filled by young people and foreigners.
Six months ago, Ramon Villanueva was earning $50,000 a year at a Philadelphia company that rents out sound systems and video projectors. But he got laid off in the fall, and now he is making $8 an hour operating the amusement park game on the Seaside Heights boardwalk at the Jersey shore.
"I never really thought I'd be working here," Villanueva, a 22-year-old with a wife and two children, said Thursday. "I thought I'd be a customer here."All over the country, as unemployment rises, U.S. workers like Villanueva are lowering their expectations. "The demographics of this year's summer work force is going to change into more well-educated, semi-retired, people in crunches, people happy to be employed," said Patty Ceglio Bishoff, director of operations for CoolWorks.com, an online bulletin board that helps people find summer jobs in scenic areas.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV