Beyond Cold Calls: Six Job-Hunting Tactics
Go online: Social networking Web sites have become a routine part of job searching. But most Facebook and LinkedIn users only scratch the surface of those sites' potential. Instead of mindlessly adding acquaintances to your list, search for professional organizations and related groups you could join. These groups might hold events that offer excellent networking opportunities.
Start a blog: Blogs can help you show off your expertise and get your name out to potential employers. Put the link to your blog on your business card and resume, and make sure to post updates frequently. Write about what's going on in your industry or draw on your professional experience to offer readers news and advice. Boost readership by letting people know when you've posted new material, and link to other blogs covering similar topics. Blogs are easy to launch and free to maintain through a number of sites such as Blogger and TypePad.
Look in unusual places: The most unconventional situations can present networking opportunities, says Hal Flantzer, president of Professional Career Recourses, a New York-based career counseling firm. Maybe you'll land a great lead at your child's soccer game or make a professional connection on a weekend hiking trip. Flantzer says one of his clients recently landed a job lead while sitting in a dentist's chair. "Networking can happen anywhere," he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV