5 Expensive Things You Shouldn't Buy
Many people's financial troubles begin when they buy an expensive toy or a vacation home.
The buyers assume they'll save money because they'll own the items instead of renting them. While that might be true short-term, it rarely works out that way in the long run.
Here are five things you should never buy unless you're rich enough to stop working:
5. TimesharesIt never makes sense to buy a timeshare, even if you vacation in the same place every year. Timeshare sellers will tell you that the rooms are bigger than those in a hotel, and come with more amenities. What they don't tell you is that the glut of timeshares has made it easy to rent one at a fraction of the cost of buying one. You could rent a timeshare every year for the next decade and spend less than you would if you had you bought it. And you wouldn't be stuck with maintenance fees.
4. BoatsThere's an old saying that the two happiest days for boat owners are when they buy the boat and when they get rid of it. Boats are a great way to throw money down the toilet because they cost so much to maintain. There are repairs, docking fees, gas and insurance. You could rent a much nicer boat on the days you want to spend at sea for much less than buying one.
3. Recreational vehiclesSome people think vacationing in an RV will be cheaper than staying in a hotel room, but that's only true if you're retired and live in the RV. If you buy a modest vehicle for $50,000 and use it 30 nights a year for 10 years, you'll have spent $167 a night. That can get you a nice room in most places in the U.S. That doesn't include the costs to fuel, store and insure it. If you want to take a trip in a RV, rent one. You could also spend less by staying in a four-star hotel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV