Hawaii Legislators Agree On Tech Tax Reductions
HERBERT A. SAMPLE
HONOLULU (AP) ¿ Legislation that would reduce controversial high technology tax credits in Hawaii was sent to the House and Senate floors on Thursday after lawmakers meeting in a conference committee agreed on a compromise.
The latest version of the measure to alter so-called "Act 221" provisions would allow investors in technology businesses to deduct 80 percent of their investment from state taxes over five years instead of the current 100 percent.
The law became a target this year as legislators sought ways to close the state's budget gap. The credit has cost the state $747 million in lost tax revenue since it started in 1999.Critics of the Act 221 changes said they would stymie and perhaps kill a fledgling business sector at a time when unemployment is rising in Hawaii. Rep. Gene Ward, R-Kalama Valley-Hawaii Kai, said the tax credit reductions would come "at the expense of an industry that is just getting its legs." Sen. Carol Fukunaga, D-Lower Makiki-Punchbowl, warned that the bill could eliminate the state's tech industry and questioned whether House negotiators wanted the high-tech businesses to survive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV