We've upgraded FirstMerit (FMER) from hold to buy, driven by its expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share.
FirstMerit's Gross profit margin of 68.6% has increased from the year-ago quarter. Revenue dropped by 9.5%, and EPS are down. ROE has decreased slightly. Net income fell 7.4% compared with the same quarter last year, to $29.1 million from $31.5 million.
Despite the decline in its share price over the last year, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays compensate for this.
We've upgraded Quest Software (QSFT) from hold to buy, driven by its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.Revenue increased by 8% since the same quarter a year ago, and EPS are up 16.7%. We expect the company's yearlong trend of EPS growth to continue. Quest has no debt to speak of and a quick ratio of 1. Net income increased by 15.3%, to $29.2 million in the most recent quarter from $25.3 million in the year-ago quarter. Quest's gross profit margin of 93.2% has increased since the year-ago quarter. Its net profit margin of 14.5% trails the industry average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV