Revlon (REV) swung into profit in the first-quarter, surprising investors and sending shares soaring 21% in afternoon trading.
During the quarter, the company posted a profit of $12.7 million, or 25 cents a share, compared with a net loss of $2.5 million, or 5 cents, in the year-ago quarter.
Revenue declined 3% to $303.3 million from $311.7 million last year.
Sales in the U.S. rose 7.8% to $191 million, as demand grew for Revlon and Almay color cosmetics and Revlon ColorSilk hair color. U.S. retail sales of color cosmetics increased more than 9% during the quarter.Growth was also driven by products including Revlon Age Defying Spa foundation, Revlon Age Defying Spa Concealer and Revlon Creme Gloss and Revlon Matte lipstick -- all of which were launched earlier this year. In the second half of this year, Revlon will launch more new products, including ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick, Revlon DoubleTwist Mascara, Revlon ColorStay Mineral Mousse Makeup and Almay Smart Shade Smart Balance Makeup. During the quarter the company reduced debt by $38.3 million. Shares of rival Bare Escentuals (BARE) flew 42% to $9.38 on Thursday, a day after the company reported that first-quarter earnings beat analysts' expectations by 4 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV