Sepracor 1Q Profit Climbs Almost Fivefold
MARLBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) ¿ Drugmaker Sepracor Inc. said Thursday its profit jumped nearly fivefold in the first quarter as a large research and development charge came off its books.
The company, which makes respiratory and central nervous disorder treatments, also recorded a tax benefit and lowered its spending.
Sepracor reported a profit of $35.2 million, or 31 cents per share. Excluding one-time costs and including a tax gains, Sepracor said it earned $96.8 million, or 85 cents per share. Its revenue grew 3 percent, to $330.2 million from $320.8 million.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had forecast a profit of 69 cents per share with $328.6 million in revenue.Sepracor earned $7.1 million, or 6 cents per share, in the first quarter of 2008. During that quarter, it recorded a research and development charge of $39.2 million after buying the U.S. rights to several respiratory products made by Swiss drugmaker Nycomed. In the latest quarter, the company also cut general and administrative spending by about $35 million, and pared its research and development spending. Sepracor maintained its full-year forecasts, predicting an adjusted profit of $2.10 to $2.70 per share and revenue of $1.15 billion to $1.25 billion. Analysts are expecting $2.43 per share and $1.21 billion in revenue. In morning trading, Sepracor shares picked up 29 cents, or 2 percent, to $14.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV