Waste Management Earnings, Revenue Fall
Waste Management (WMI) announced today that its first-quarter earnings fell 36% as business with industrial and commercial customers declined amid the recession.
The Houston-based trash hauler and recycler reported quarterly earnings of $155 million, or 31 cents a share, down from the year-ago period's $241 million, or 48 cents a share.
The company said it took charges in the quarter totaling $53 million to pay for restructuring costs and to drop a software system licensed from SAP. Without those items, the company's EPS would have been 42 cents, a penny above analyst estimates, according to Thomson Reuters.
The company said first-quarter revenue dropped 14% to $2.81 billion from $3.27 billion a year earlier.Waste Management shares declined slightly in late trading Wednesday, changing hands at $26.93 on heavy volume, down 5 cents from yesterday's close.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV