Amerigon Shares Rise On Strong 1Q Sales
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Amerigon Inc., which makes climate-controlled seats for the auto industry, jumped Wednesday after the company posted better-than-expected first-quarter sales despite the continued decline in the overall automotive market.
In afternoon trading, Amerigon's shares were up 48 cents, or 9.5 percent, to $5.50, down from a session peak of $5.91. Over the past 52 weeks, the company's shares have traded between $2.14 and $14.95.
Amerigon posted a first-quarter loss of $936,000, or 4 cents per share, compared with a profit of $1.4 million, or 6 cents per share, for the same quarter last year. Product revenue fell 41 percent to $10.2 million from $17.4 million.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected a loss of 4 cents per share on $8.7 million in sales.Amerigon said its sales were hurt by the continued economic slowdown and global decline in automotive production, as its customers cut back orders and attempted to lower their inventories. Richard W. Hoss of Roth Capital Partners said that while the quarter's sales were slightly better than expected, he was disappointed with the company's gross margin of 23.5 percent, which was up from the fourth quarter of 2008, but still lower than he expected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV