Belden Falls To 1Q Loss, But Beats Expectations
ST. LOUIS (AP) ¿ Belden Inc., an electronics-components maker, said Wednesday it lost more than $30 million in the first quarter as the global recession slashed its revenue by more than a third.
However the company, which also issued second-quarter guidance below Wall Street estimates, easily beat expectations for the three months ended March 29.
Belden lost $32.5 million, or 70 cents per share, compared with a profit of $12.9 million, or 27 cents per share, in the year-earlier period.
Excluding one-time items for restructuring, the company posted adjusted earnings per share of 16 cents. The restructuring included closing German connector manufacturing facilities and moving their production to Eastern Europe.Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected, on average, more modest earnings per share of 10 cents. Analyst estimates typically exclude one-time items. The average number of shares in the recently completed quarter fell to 46.5 million from 48.4 million. Revenue dropped to 36 percent $328.5 million from $511.8 million. Analysts expected $342.9 million in revenue. In midday trading, shares jumped $1.09, or 7.1 percent, to $16.53.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV