Earnings Roundup: Office Depot, Valero Energy
Among the earnings stories for Tuesday, April 28, from AP Financial News:
CHICAGO (AP) ¿ Office Depot Inc. surprised Wall Street on Tuesday when it reported that, excluding its cost-cutting efforts and other one-time events, its first-quarter profit was much better than expected.
HOUSTON (AP) ¿ Valero Energy Corp. said Tuesday its first-quarter profit rose more than 18 percent, easily beating Wall Street expectations as higher margins for turning crude into gasoline offset weak demand for a variety of refined products.
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) ¿ Pfizer Inc. posted a 2 percent drop in first-quarter profit Tuesday, as cost-cutting by the world's largest drugmaker couldn't offset large declines in sales for several medicines, especially a big drop for the cholesterol fighter Lipitor.NAPERVILLE, Ill. (AP) ¿ Tellabs Inc., which makes telecommunications equipment, said Tuesday its first-quarter profit dropped 61 percent, as the continued weak economy cut into its customers' spending. NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Interpublic Group of Cos. traded higher on Tuesday after the advertising and marketing conglomerate posted a wider first-quarter loss that still beat analysts' forecasts. The company also said it shed 2,800 jobs, or 6 percent of its work force, in the past six months. NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Parexel International Corp. surged Tuesday after the pharmaceutical services company reported stronger-than-expected fiscal third-quarter results as revenue increased.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV