Variable Annuities' Warning List Grows
Writing about tax-deferred annuities creates tremendous possibilities for misunderstandings and misleading uses of the information. So let me start with a series of warnings. Much like the label on your prescription medicine, these warnings inform you that the product within is designed to be a benefit, but only if you take it as directed, and avoid using it under the wrong conditions.
Here's the warning label for these tax-deferred, variable annuities:
- Purchase only through a reputable dealer, with expertise in these products.
- Purchase only from an insurance company with a strong financial balance sheet.
- Understand there is no official federal bailout fund for insurance companies -- only state funds that may "assess" other insurers in case of a company failure.
- Get a written explanation of all fees and charges.
- Use only if you understand "surrender charge period" and are sure you won't need access to your money before that period expires.
- Understand the risk of loss, as well what is, and isn't, covered by guarantees.
- Understand the difference between "withdrawals" and taking an "annuitized" stream of income.
- Understand what happens to the balance of your account if you die before taking out all your money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV