- Purchase only through a reputable dealer, with expertise in these products.
- Purchase only from an insurance company with a strong financial balance sheet.
- Understand there is no official federal bailout fund for insurance companies -- only state funds that may "assess" other insurers in case of a company failure.
- Get a written explanation of all fees and charges.
- Use only if you understand "surrender charge period" and are sure you won't need access to your money before that period expires.
- Understand the risk of loss, as well what is, and isn't, covered by guarantees.
- Understand the difference between "withdrawals" and taking an "annuitized" stream of income.
- Understand what happens to the balance of your account if you die before taking out all your money.
Variable Annuities' Warning List Grows
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.