Check out Eric Oberg's latest piece on the Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program.
One of the advantages of subscribing to RealMoney is having one of our pros warn you away from buying a certain stock or making a specific trade. Sidestepping an investing disaster can sometimes mean the difference between retiring early and not being able to retire at all.
RealMoney contributor Eric Oberg, a former managing director at Goldman Sachs, made two of these disaster-preventing calls last Dec. 22, when he wrote a compelling argument warning subscribers against two exchange-traded funds (ETFs) that are designed to provide gains by shorting the indices they follow.
Oberg's article, "Why Short Sector ETFs Aren't So Smart," warned investors against ProShares UltraShort Financial ETF (SKF), a short play on financials, and ProShares UltraShort Real Estate ETF (SRS), a short play on the real estate market.Both have been disasters. Since Dec. 22, the SKF has underperformed the implied short of its counterpart long fund -- the Ultra Financials ProShares (UYG) -- by 84.6%, while the SRS has underperformed the implied short of its counterpart long fund - the Ultra Real Estate ProShares (URE) -- by 90%. Subscribers who followed Oberg's advice saved a lot of cash. A $100,000 investment made in SKF on Dec. 22 is now worth only $48,600. A $100,000 investment made in SRS on Dec. 22 is now worth only $41,900. Both SKF and SRS were based on underlying indices that were based on being down, and yet somehow, these funds had the wrong execution of an idea that proved correct. RealMoney: The site for smart investors. Click here for a free trial to RealMoney. Dave Morrow Editor-in-Chief
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV