Waste Management Sees Weak 1Q, With Trash Down
HOUSTON (AP) ¿ Waste Management Inc., the nation's No. 1 waste hauler, reports earnings for the first quarter before the market opens Wednesday. The following is a summary of key developments and analyst opinion related to the period.
OVERVIEW: The Houston-based company expects a weak first quarter. With building activity down sharply, construction companies are carting off less trash from work sites. And as people shop and eat out less, restaurants and small businesses are generating less garbage, requiring fewer trash pickups. Waste Management's recycling business is also taking a hit as prices for paper, newsprint, metals and other recycled materials fall with demand.
The company is responding by cutting costs. A restructuring plan intended to save more than $100 million a year will consolidate operations, delay merit-based pay for hourly workers until June 30 and eliminate salary increases for some employees this year until the economy improves.
Waste Management also is keeping its prices up as trash volumes fall.BY THE NUMBERS. Analysts expect earnings of 41 cents per share on revenue of $2.98 billion for the quarter. That would be down from 48 cents per share on revenue of $3.27 billion in the first quarter of 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV