In a press release announcing its takeover of the institution, the California Department of Financial Institutions said it had been "closely monitoring the bank and had ordered it to increase its capital reserves to a safe and sound level. But efforts by the bank to do so were unsuccessful."
TheStreet.com Ratings had assigned First Bank of Beverly Hills an E-minus (Very Weak) financial strength rating in March, a downgrade from the D (Weak) rating that was assigned in September.
The bank was included in TheStreet.com's list of undercapitalized banks and thrifts since a fourth-quarter net loss of $83 million left it with tier 1-leverage and total risk-based capital ratios of 3.37% and 6.45%, respectively. These ratios need to be at least 5% and 10%, respectively, for a bank to be considered well capitalized under ordinary circumstances.
Most of the net losses sprang from charge-offs of nonperforming residential and commercial construction loans.Since the agency didn't line up a buyer for the failed institution, the FDIC arranged to pay out all of the its deposits. Checks were to be mailed to retail depositors Monday, except for an estimated $179,000 in uninsured deposits. Brokered deposits were to be directly to the brokers. The FDIC estimated the cost to its insurance fund would be $394 million.
Michigan Heritage BankMichigan Heritage Bank had approximately $195 million in total assets and $152 million in deposits. While Michigan regulators didn't provide details in their press release announcing the institutions failure, the institution was also included in TheStreet.com's list of undercapitalized banks and thrifts since it was critically undercapitalized as of Dec. 31, with a tier 1-leverage ratio of 1.61% and a risk-based capital ratio of 3.18%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV