Where to Find Jobs During the Downturn
However, federal spending might not trickle down to state and local governments, which have been forced to slash spending to close budget gaps. In March, these two areas posted net losses of 3,000 and 9,000 jobs, respectively, according to BLS data.
Education: Despite a loss of 6,800 jobs in March, the education industry has experienced a net gain since November.
"More people are going back to school," explains Grasz. "Individuals want to make themselves more appealing and attractive to prospective employers, and the increase in demand causes a boost in the call for teachers as well as admissions staff and support personnel."
The Midwest, in particular, has shown an uptick in education jobs. That area has lost more manufacturing jobs, forcing workers to develop new skills through training programs.Construction: Homebuilders were going gangbusters earlier this decade, but the collapse of the residential market has forced the industry to shed more than a million jobs in the last two years. Even though the housing market is in the tank, the construction industry isn't dead. The recent stimulus package has earmarked billions of dollars for road building, energy upgrades and the development of high-speed rail lines. While it might take some time for the stimulus funds to trickle down to even the most shovel-ready projects, those projects will require a lot of hands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV