Saia Loses $6.3M On Low Demand, Pricing Pressure
JOHNS CREEK, Ga. (AP) ¿ Trucking company Saia Inc. said it lost $6.3 million in the first quarter as shipping tonnage and pricing pressure more than offset savings from cheaper fuel.
The Johns Creek, Ga., company lost 47 cents per share for the quarter ended March 31, wider than a loss of $833,000, or 6 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue fell 17 percent to $206.1 million, from $249.3 million a year ago.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting a loss of 6 cents per share on revenue of $219 million.Saia said its less-than-truckload yield was down 8.9 percent because of the decline in fuel surcharges. Saia said that on April 1 it cut the pay of its leaders by 10 percent, and cut pay by 5 percent for hourly, linehaul, and salaried workers in operations, maintenance, and administration. It has 7,400 employees. The company said its first quarter is normally the weakest because of lower seasonal demand and the potential for bad weather. "Therefore, we believe results of first quarter operations will not be indicative of full year results," the company said. Saia shares fell $1.81, or 13.6 percent, to $11.52 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV