Consumers might shop less or put off buying a new computer during a recession, but they keep drinking beer.
Beer sales rose 1% last year to $99.3 billion, while sales of wine and liquor fell, according to the Beverage Information Group, a market research firm.
While the weak economy hasn't killed beer demand, it's damping growth. In response, brewers are targeting calorie-conscious Americans with lighter beers. They're also trying to appeal to frugal connoisseurs who prefer high-quality craft beers, but can't stomach the cost.
Here are some new beers headed to your local liquor store:Michelob's wheat beer sampler packs: Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world's largest brewer, is trying to carve out a share of the expanding craft beer market. The firm's Michelob brand last month introduced a series of six- and twelve-packs that include an assortment of the brewer's wheat beers -- Shock Top Belgian White, Dunkel Weisse and two new brews, Hop Hound Amber Wheat and Honey Wheat. Craft beers are usually made by small breweries. They tend to be of higher quality and often carry hefty price tags. With the sampler packs, Michelob is trying to draw consumers who are willing to try new beers but refuse to pay a premium. Samuel Adams Imperial Series: The Boston Beer Co. (SAM) has cultivated loyal fans over the years with its Samuel Adams brand. The company's new Imperial Series will target Budweiser or Miller drinkers looking to expand their horizons. The Imperial Series offers more intense and flavorful versions of older Samuel Adams beers, with about twice the alcohol per volume. The series includes the brews Double Bock, Imperial Stout and Imperial White, with four-packs selling for about $10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV