On my Dow position, I averaged down from an initial cost per share of $6.80 by buying additional contracts as the share price dropped. That brought my final average cost to $3.10 a share, enabling me to close out my position yesterday.
Many of my subscribers were anxious to see how I would play out the Intel position. The stock was trading in the $20s when I bought the $15 calls in September. The position turned into a nail-biter after the bottom dropped out of Intel. Global markets crashed Oct. 10, pushing my position out of the money.
My system buys DITM positions to avoid situations like this, but I still have ways to get out of a tight corner brought on by such extraordinary events. I took action, making repeat buys on my options position at the new, lower prices, which lowered my average costs. But by February -- with an April 17 expiration looming -- the market still had not exceeded my average cost, which would have enabled me to cash out. It was time to get serious.
On Feb. 9, I instructed subscribers to double down. I bought 410 contracts, bringing my total to 820. This lowered my good-till-cancel sell price to $2.00 -- still too high for the market, but now within reach. And I continued buying.On Monday, April 13, with my average costs at $1.40 a share on 880 contracts, I alerted subscribers to sell at $1.50. I walked away with a $7,150 profit. And I put another notch in my win column.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV